Burning At Both Ends Volume One




Interview with Bryan from Death Before Dishonor.

  
Bryan DBD photo by Aaron Pepelis from Return To The Pit
 
When did death before dishonor begin and who were the original members?
DBD started in early 2001. Original members were me, Frankie Puopolo, Dan Loftus and Erik Deitz.

Were you in a band before this one?
I was in a band called Incision; we were around for about 4 years. When Incision was done for me and Dan who was also in Incision wanted to do a new band so we
put together DBD.

What is a tip you would give a band to help them stand the test of time?
That’s a tough one, I would say be ready for hard work and a lot of tough times. I think it takes a certain type of person to be able to do it for a while. We have had a lot of great things happen to us, but a lot of shitty things as well. Being able to get through the tough times made us who we are.

When you started the band did you think it would last this long?
Definitely not, we just wanted to be in a band that was able to tour. Here we are 16 years later still doing it (obviously not with original members) is mind blowing.

What is one Brockton venue you would bring back?
I love the Tigers Den but for me I would say Club 121. Club 121 was crazy; it was like home to me for years. It was a building that had a bunch of rehearsal studios and 1 big room they turned into a club. I got to see a lot of great shows there. It was also cool that my old band practiced there so we had a room to just hang out and party in after or before shows, because of that I got to meet a lot of touring bands that came through and become friends with them.

Over under how many times do you think someone got mauled through the side fire door at the tigers den?
HAHAHAHA. It had to be a few times. Let’s go with 10!

Who is your favorite new up and coming band?
Right now I’m feeling Buried Dreams (not cuz Austin plays in DBD) but they are dope and doing well.

What is your song writing process like do you write lyrics before or after the base of the song is done?
It all really depends. Sometimes I will have some cool lines that I will write down and try to place em into songs we already have. Most of the time the music is done and we will write lyrics to the songs. Right now we have 10 songs musically demoed, and I’m writing lyrics to the songs.

What is your favorite whiskey?
Jameson!!!! Although my whiskey days are about over, I can’t hang like I used to!

What's one band you think should have gotten way bigger than they did?
That’s a hard one, there are a lot of bands I have seen that should have done way more…..I’m going to go with Hammer Bros

One thing I miss about the scene is there being less cameras around.  What’s one thing you miss from shows?

I miss the element of surprise, nowadays you can hear every band on the internet before you see em live. I remember going to see whatever headlining band and making sure I got there early to check out the opening bands cuz you never knew what they sounded like. Because of that I got to see a lot of great bands that blew me away.

What band do your friends make fun of you for listening to?
I don’t really get shit for it but I’d go with Gaslight Anthem. I kind of get the oh you listen to that?? From people.

Who would win in a fight Frankie or a polar bear?
Frankie for sure

If you had one super power what would it be?
Haha it would be cool to fly, it would make touring a lot easier!

What is your day job and how do they work around you going on tours from time to time?
I drive a truck for a book donation company. They are cool with me coming and going.  The guy that owns it used to go to hardcore shows so he knows the deal and is cool with it.

Did you picture where you are now as a kid or did you want to do something different?
Definitely didn’t picture doing this. I really can’t remember what I wanted to do when I was I was younger haha

Finally who was the hardest pitter back in the day?
I’m going to go with Minus. 


Photo by Aaron Pepelis from Return To The Pit

Show Reviews and Mini Interview’s

 

Dave Fest June 17 2017
  
 
Field of Vision Photo by Joephy Valley Photography

Field of Vision, this band kicked ass right out of the gate. I thought they were going to be youth crewish but they were heavy. Not exactly beat down but definitely metallic hardcore. They covered Hatebreed. They also have a song that builds up into the end and caught some kids in a mosh, I personally love that. They had the room going early and you should be on the lookout for them to release something soon. 



Setlist:

intro

shadows cast

path of least resistance

hatebreed outro

Field of vision


Tandam Shud started out slow like Xibalba but was fast and spazzy metal. They covered two converge songs and another cover. They turned out all the lights and wore masks throughout their set with different people getting on the mic for the covers.

Setlist:
Black sheep wall – nihility (cover)
Isolation as an omen
Concubine (cover)
Fault and fracture (cover)
Contempt as an alternative


Vantage Point double exposure by Joephy Valley Photography 

https://vantage-point.bandcamp.com/releases. 

 Vantage Point.  Great band. Sound more along the lines of what I thought Field Of Vision would sound like. The singer stopped to explain one of the songs because it was father’s day. He said how he used to hate father’s day but now he is grateful he even had a father when some people don’t. They had a lot of energy and asked the room to move up since they weren’t a mosh band.

Setlist:
Where it ends
Disappearing act
Passion
Setting it
Anxiety
Watch you watch


Mourned played a lot of new songs.  They only played the 2 recent ep songs so people didn’t move around much. It was tight though. Here is a small interview with Brendan Coughlin from Mourned.

What’s it like being in a band with your brother?
Being in a band with my brother (Dave) is badass! We grew up listening to the same music for the most part and the chemistry when writing songs is very good.  We’re usually on the same page with song ideas and as a whole band; we all work really well together.
 What’s next for mourned?
Right now we’re finishing up a couple songs to record and are going to put out another small release and we’re also heading down to San Antonio to play Hope For Shelter Fest that my good friend Devin Amann runs!  Hoping all goes well with that like it did last year.  San Antonio is a lot of fun.
Do you have any big plans ahead?
The big plans we have right now are just recording some new songs and once we get those recorded; we’re going to keep on chipping away at working on our first LP. We’ve made a lot of progress and some changes to our sound since we’ve first started and now that we have something much more concrete for a sound, writing has been way more fun and we’ve been way more productive.
Do you have any side projects going on?
My brother, CJ (other guitarist in Mourned), my friend Neil, and I are in a hardcore band called Field of Vision.  We had our first gig at Davefest (my brother’s birthday show he set up earlier this summer) and we have another show August 19th at the Upton VFW and are recording our first release very soon. Super stoked to have all of this going on!
Setlist: 
Wake of Orion
A dictum, mute
Ravenous torment
Cain
Parasites
Lifeless hull
Striated hive
Of fire and the void
Orison
 

 
 Floods double exposure by Joephy Valley Photography


Floods set was over faster than I anyone had hoped. I love this band. A band from a time that I can barely remember with riffs that are unrelenting to this day. I was in the pit. Songs still were as hard hitting as ever.  They got through about 4 songs before unfortunately some weak shit ended up happening. I’ve been going to shows for a long time, Things happen, whatever. But please next time. Can we get through a Floods set please guys? Thanks.

 Setlist:
Unfiltered offering
Shrouded
Devils rhythm
Disciplines throne






July 1st 2017 Kev and Pats’ Thrills and Chills Fest


Mouthbreather  First band of the day. They are always crazy. They are definitely hardcore but have little pieces of other styles in them. That makes them weird and and crazy vibe live. Ed is a wild animal live, and he is sober as can be so that should probably terrify the crowd more. Quick little interview with Ed.

What would you describe your own sound as?
I really hate putting a label on our sound as anything more than hardcore. We're just heavy, chaotic at times. I dunno. We want to keep the traditional sound of what hardcore is alive, but we want to continue to push the envelope and make our own sound.
There’s too many barriers about what music is and isn't and its all bullshit at the end of the day.

Who else is in the band?
Myself, Ryan (guitar), Anthony (Bass) and Nick (drums).

Where do you see Mouthbreather going do you have any goals since you are still so new?

As far as where I see us going, I don't care whether it’s playing huge festivals or dirty basements; we just want to play shows for a long time to come. Our short term goals are to do a US tour within a year and eventually play some bigger shows, but we're not going crazy.

When are you guys recording?


We're recording the first week of august with Jason Maas at Getaway Recording. We're doing a 5 song ep.

How does your sobriety tie into the music itself?

As far as how sobriety ties into the music, it's referenced in a few of our songs, lyrically. Sobriety is fucking hard sometimes, but being the kind of fuck up I was, was infinitely fucking worse, even on my best days drinking and getting high, I still felt dead inside. I'm able to write about my experience and keep that stuff fresh in my head so I remember what I don't want to go back to because I can forget really quick how bad it got for me. Also, if there’s even one other person out there who's struggling like I struggled, if I'm able to help them with my words and give them a little hope, then we've done our part as a band.


Brickshot plays fast pasts then parts that could be considered straight up hardcore that go into two step parts that are a blast from 2004. Then they go into beat down parts. Their bassist always jumped off stage and completely leveled a person trying to start a circle pit.  A persons brass knuckles fell out during this set. That’s all I got to say for the set.

A Tiny Spider plays with fast spazz vocals with cleaner guitars. Sometimes sounds, very emotional, airy and large. Would listen to while raining. When they play heavier it sounds frantic. I don’t really know how to describe this band but they definitely pull emotion out of you with their different parts.

https://brittlebonesma.bandcamp.com/ 

 Brittle Bones They play a real mean style of hardcore that makes the pit open up every time.

https://psychicweight.bandcamp.com/  

Psychic Weight They have a whole bunch of inflatable pool toys. There’s a lobster and tiki totem pole I think there is a shark. They are always amazing live. They have pulsing riffs that just beat you in the face the entire song.


Knocked Over City photo by Rory Cronin Photography

Knocked Over City Groovy kind of surfy. The guitarist from this band was surfing a lobster earlier during psychic weight. Really fun sounding band.

Shroud  Heavy as hell and fast, I always stand in awe watching their drummer play the drums. He has a precision most drummers don’t have and it looks effortless. They play fast and clean every single time. One of the best bands Massachusetts has to offer here’s a small interview with WRJ III from shroud and psychic weight.   


 
WRJ III photo by Rory Cronin Photography

WRJ III from Shroud interview

At what age did you start your first band?

-My first band technically I was 13 and we were called Narcosis. We played a middle school Spanish Fiesta night and got 2 covers in ("About a Girl" by Nirvana, and "Brainstew" by Greenday) before I was convinced it was worthless and smashed my guitar and walked out... All of my peers and their moms saw it while eating nachos and tacos. I did vocals in a pop punk band a year later with a contender for shittiest name ever: Chaos Comes Crashing. Deep, I know.

My first band that did anything beyond a garage though? Age 16 I played guitar in a grind band called Killing Zygotes. We recorded an EP "Wash It Down With a
Shotgun Blast" and covered Bad Luck 13... Which is sick. 

Which band has been around longer Shroud or Psychic Weight?

-Psychic Weight has been around longer TECHNICALLY because we used to be called Spiderkids3D (intentionally worst band name ever) and that started right after Dry Heave broke up.

When you are writing do you go to different places in your mind for inspiration?

-No, I only think about what will make people want to hit their friends and then I write it down and yell it. Move this fuckin joint.

Ok I'm sorry. I lied. Yes. Lyrically speaking, with Shroud, I tend to do some pretty ugly soul searching. Shroud is my bottled up pessimism and cynicism. I'm a happier person because of it too. Older songs dealt with drug dealers, using uppers to mask my social anxiety, someone I used to be close with drinking while pregnant, killing myself etc. Newer stuff is somehow even more introverted (to be fair I did make it clear with the first title "This Is Not For You"). I'm more comfortable in life than I've ever been, but I'm still a wretch inside. I'm still finding new things about myself to hate and a big theme of the new material is basically... no one ever really changes as much as we just learn a certain amount of self-control. You don't stop being angry, or despising yourself, you get better at hiding it.. and your flaws just get more specific. At least thats been my experience. The song I'm most attached to right now is about a guy (me *fart noise*) who kills his old self and drops the remains in a trash bag with rocks in it off a dock. He keeps visiting the dock and every time he looks down over the years he sees more and more pieces of himself floating on the surface, starting with pieces/flakes of skin and then eventually an entire decomposing mirror image of himself. Life's rad.

Where do you want your music to go? Are you happy just playing shows every weekend or do you want more?

-I've long since abandoned delusions of "making it big". Shroud is my therapy. Psychic Weight my goal is to push the boundaries of hardcore punk as far outside of the box it currently resides in, but without being corny about it. Anything more than people getting something from my music and being able to share said music is just a bonus. I'm not opposed to welcoming more exposure, shows, "success" and what not... but not at the cost of the life I currently live. I'm not being cynical, just realistic. 

Have you toured before? If you have which band now would you rather hit the road with?

-I toured a couple of times with an old band called "Ape Up!" and it was some of the best times I've ever had. At this juncture I feel Psychic Weight is probably more road ready in terms of set and stability. We're actually in the process of planning a week in the beginning of 2018 with one of our favorite/friends bands. Weirdly enough though Shroud has been on the road more than PW, just not for a longer than a weekend.

Who was your biggest influence musically growing up and is metal hardcore type style as far as you want to go or do you want to explore different genre's more?

-My musical influences have consistently been Janes Addiction, Prince, Pig Destroyer, Glassjaw, There Were Wires, Moment, American Nightmare, and Nick Cave (Birthday Party and Bad Seeds). 

Psychic Weight is definitely turning into something with hints of genres way outside of hardcore but not blatant about it. We're getting very adventurous and I'm excited as hell to share it with everyone. 

Shroud will reside in the more extreme side of things (death/grind/core). Like I said, it is mostly my therapy. When it comes to writing the music for that the majority of it resides in Chellow, Jeremy, until recently Devin, and now Howie. They are beyond talented at writing what they write. I also can't let it go unspoken that our material for our first two releases, credit goes largely to Paul Kimball. He is one of the most original and wild guitarists I've ever been involved with and is an absolutely bottomless well of talent when it comes to writing truly evil aggressive music.

Some years (1, 2, 3? IDFK) from now I'm going to tone it down a bit and work on my solo shit Mawworm, and my electronic shit with my cousin Jessica (of Anaria). Until then, I'll keep wylin’ out until I break something, or can't talk, or die.



Bystander They get tossed in the middle of two heavy ass bands and don’t even care .They play sad slow style music. But they rule and the crowd loves them for the cool down.

Distressorma.bandcamp.com

Distressor this is my zine so this is cheating. Check us out on Spotify apple music iTunes or YouTube.



https://kharmamwhc.bandcamp.com/ Kharma headlined and they are beatdown mean hardcore from Chicago. The vocals are very shrill but this band got the kids going wild at the show and they tore the place up. Here’s a quick interview with Jordan from Kharma.

When did you guys become a band?
 We put a demo out in late 2015 but we didn't really start taking shit seriously until middle of 2016 so that’s when I personally say we actually started to be a real band.
Who else is in the band?
Kharma is me on vocals, Nivek Suda on drums, Edgar Rios on bass, and Andrew Perez and Mitch Willeford on guitars.
What was your set list and where can people find your music?
Our set list for that show was Intro/Paper Gangster, Repent, Slave to Society, Loose End, Overanalyzed, S.O.L, and 12. Our music is on bandcamp, Spotify, and Apple music. We just put out a 2 song promo and that's only up on bandcamp for now
Where you in other bands before this one?
I wasn't in any real bands before this, but a few of us have new side projects. None of which have music out yet. Demos coming from DIRT, Lethal Contact, and Another One Dead, soon.
When you started did you think you would be touring is it all for fun see where it goes?
We definitely didn’t think we'd be touring when we started but as we kept playing, opportunities just kept popping up.
Last you have a very anti cop image did you have bad experience with the police or just police being dicks in general?
 As far as cops go, I haven't personally been a victim of police brutality, but I have seen profiling and been profiled. I've had family members in Chicago beat by police. The combination of that and all the insane stories across the country about cops killing innocent people of color is enough to form my opinion on police.


Interview with Taylor Young from Nails, Twitching Tongues, Disgrace, Eyes Of The Lord and Midnight Sons
 


Taylor Young on the drums photo credit Gabe Becerra

Hey Taylor, I’m stoked that you are down to be one of the first people I interview for my lil zine I’m starting. Between all 5 of your bands, your studio and real life you probably are super crunched for time so thank you so much for doing this!




No problem! I'm psyched that you asked me!


First off who found the hardcore scene first? Your brother Colin or you?
 
I did way before Colin. Technically our older brother found it first with his friends in high school. 



Between the Tiger’s Den, Anchors Up and all the VFW’s in between I have a lot of good memories coming up in the scene. What were some of the venues you frequented early on and what one do you miss the most and why?



In New England I went to shows at Bill's Bar, Palladium & Webster Underground, it wasn't until moving to CA that I found the real local vibe. The Cobalt Cafe in Canoga Park is definitely where my formative hardcore years were spent. It was the place we could all be ourselves and cause trouble. Another one was Studio S in North Hollywood but that was only open for a couple years. 


There are always local bands that are beloved but don’t get much exposure beyond their area. Which band would you like to see again from back in the day play again?

Oh man. Grimlock was/is my favorite New England band. I'd kill to see the Songs of Self era line up. 

Is there one show that sticks out in your mind that made you fall in love with all of this? 

Not particularly. It was the records way before the shows. I was way too young to go to shows when I started listening to the music. I was seriously 9 or 10. 

Nails and Twitching Tongues play some pretty big shows; do you prefer DIY venues or bigger shows/venues now?

I will say I've gotten pretty spoiled and definitely appreciate good live sound now, but a solid insane DIY show makes me forget all about it. 

How has the scene changed since you first started going to shows? Is there anything you’d want to change about shows?

It seems like it's softer, and the people are smaller. The people that scared the shit out of me still kinda do, but I don't see any young kids with that vibe. Maybe it's for the best, but the element of fear is something that kept me coming back. That adrenaline rush when some giant is rushing toward you and there's a hard ass part happening on stage. That made me feel alive as a lonely young kid.

Who is your favorite vocalist in hardcore?

Scott Vogel is still top dog, even for an old ass man (ha). As far as younger bands I would also give it up to James from Harm's Way. He's not particularly personable. But if he's not in the air he's barking like a wild dog, and that's the shit I relate to. 

Being from Massachusetts I saw Have Heart countless times and miss them dearly to this day. Who is your favorite straight edge band? 

Free is sick too! I'm an Earth Crisis guy for heavy stuff but I would say Straight Ahead or Judge. 

What is your favorite edge record?

ExC - Destroy the Machines, Straight Ahead - Breakaway

What is your favorite record that isn’t this style of music?

I actually just thought about this the other day and it would have to be Warning - Watching From A Distance. It might be the saddest metal record in the universe. As far as completely unaggressive things, I would say Townes Van Zandt - Rear View Mirror. 

Besides heavy styles of music what other genres do you listen to? If you listen to rap who’s your favorite rapper?

If I'm not listening to aggressive stuff I'm listening to the saddest shit I can find. Some country/folk, only sad shit though none of that pop country shit. I like very specific rap for nostalgic reasons, so I'd say Wu or KRS1 are my favs. 

Playing guitar in 3 bands how do you switch it up so each band has its own sound?

That's something that took me a bit to figure out. When I started Eyes of the Lord with Bruce, the original idea was New England/Troycore cross. It took forever, and then God's Hate came to be, so we kinda ditched the Troycore aspect because they had it perfect. I was listening to a lot of Japanese hardcore and EOTL originally had more fast songs. When Midnight Sons came around I put all that focus into Sons, and EOTL was left with a pure New England sound. Twitching Tongues always has its own vibe anyway since Colin and I both write those songs. 

Do you like playing drums, guitar, or doing vocals the most? Which gives you more of an outlet for creativity?

I would say guitar is the one I enjoy the most and is definitely the main outlet for creativity for me. Doing vocals gives me extreme anxiety, and I'd never do it again if I could haha. Drums are a lot of work, but are extremely rewarding too. 

When is Disgrace coming out with a new record? I loved True Enemy and need more of that in my life.
  
Kyle has a bunch of new songs in the bag. It's possible that we'll record a new 12" before the year ends! 

How did you link up with Bruce recently to start Eyes of the Lord?

Colin and I met Bruce on the weird tour Twitching Tongues did with Acacia Strain (where they crashed two vans and dropped the third day) and remained in contact after. We're HUGE 100 Demons fans. Bruce casually said in an email reply "when are we starting a band?" so we did right then. It just took a very long time to get fleshed out, but we're really psyched on the product and to keep playing shows. 

Tell me a little about The Midnight Sons. How did it start and who else is in the band?

The Midnight Sons was first kinda thought about when recording the Criminal Instinct LP. Josiah told me he was moving to LA in a couple months so we should start some shit. I agreed and wrote the first two songs. Originally Alex from Fury was going to play drums just to mix up the styles a little bit, but I can't get away from heavy shit so Colin made more sense. Andrew from The Killer plays bass, and he is also my roommate so that was a no-brainer. Austin from Minus/formerly of Backtrack plays second guitar. It's really just a band of friends made completely for fun. I really love that record and look forward to making more stuff with those guys. The idea was Japanese hardcore through a New York Hardcore lens. 

What is your biggest regret musically?


I wouldn't say I really have any. Maybe if anything we could have toured on Disharmony a little more, but we just needed a break. 

If you had the chance to delete two records (any genre) off the face of the earth what would they be?


WHOA that's a lot of power. I really don't know how to answer that! Maybe just delete Celtic Frost - Cold Lake. I can't think of a second one. 

If you could talk to one dead person for an hour famous or not who and why?


I'd love to just have a chat with Peter Steele to pick his brain on song structures and his life. 

Was it part of your dream to own a studio or did the opportunity just arise?


It just kind of happened. All the resources were around me growing up since my family is very musical and technical, and then I eventually got my own shit and style. 

Do you make records other than hardcore/metal? What type of record do you prefer making?


I haven't yet but I've been thinking of doing some alt/folk sad shit for myself. Don't know if it would resonate with anyone or if I have the guitar chops 

Again between everything you have going on in your life how do you find free time?
That’s it thank you so much.



 I try to limit the studio time til about 8 pm every day so I have my nights to myself. Since none of the bands are full time I still have a good amount of regular life going on. 
Thanks! That was a good one you're good at this. 


---------------
Taylor Young




Building A Better World


A Review by Fernando Calderas


‘OPEN YOUR EYES’ is a new Straight Edge band from Washington DC, members from Give, Protester, and The Rival Mob. Protester, a sick DC Edge band, was on tour with KICK ASS, GIVE. They made their appearance the only HARDCORE STADIUM in Cambridge Massachusetts. I was en-route to this show but unfortunately I missed it. But I did manage to pick up Open Your Eyes Demo tape. From that night, I heard amazing things, from buddies that went to the show!
I went home, and popped in the tape. Holy shit, this demo took me away! Literally, I got GOOSEBUMPS! “THE LEADING EDGE” at the moment is my favorite song, if you can manage to pick up a demo, you should! You won’t be disappointed! Straight up, I felt the energy! I felt like stage diving in my bedroom! Straight Edge music on a positive and building from the better path, is something that resonates with me. There are so many things in this world that we stopped caring about, but as they sing in their song ‘Building a Better World’, “it’s never too late to give a fuck… our future is ours to make!” our future is the only thing we can control, no matter the bullshit! A person has to do what they have to do to make their future a more prominent one.
This demo really gets to the root of telling it how it is. I see in this world is getting worse with methadone clinics popping up, where you see people trying to get of heroin, and trying to better themselves but become addicted to methadone, it’s a sad sight to see. As we grow we see things and only few do something about to help them trying to escape their entrapment! We can do so much more for those in need! Whether someone close or someone that’s a stranger! Make a difference in this world, the smallest difference impacts in tremendous ways! I never felt the ‘I’m better than you’ bullshit! We, the people, hit our lowest lows, and the only way to rise up is to help each other up, and taking down the shit that affects us all that brings us to our lows. Open Your Eyes, lyrics of caring, and uplifting, and working towards something better, whether big or small, I think it’s their aim!
Hopefully this demo uplifts you like it has me. But I know not everyone has the same taste. And that’s okay! But this is a band; you have to at least to once! J Washington DC Straight Edge at its FINEST! “DC DRUG FREE YOU AND ME!”



Poetry Corner

Modern Jester by WRJ III

the absolute hell of new years jubilation
rife with liquid death,
endless testosterone,
and an unhealthy dose of mandatory drama.
taking place within the city nearest to my roots
whose conviction may shake even
the most introverted of my kin

there passed a simple car
undecorated and dull
amongst the flow of drunk caravans
taking a corner on the outskirts of fanuiel hall.

one of hundreds of lavishly decorated douchebags stopped
holding up the parade
to bow mockingly,
hair trained and outfit calculated,

to the tired man behind the wheel
fresh off a twelve hour shift
who announced, with reckless abandon
the hour and minute old new year.

he then spun around
with half the grace of a drunken figure skater
to collect the approval of his caravan of lunatics.
he grinned and slipped away,
on to his own merriment or inevitable OUI.

the man behind the wheel took no notice,
but a gate had opened in my chest
and all the hatred of a thousand ruined worlds
was flowing out of me

I wanted nothing but to tear
this hip shit's face in half using his eye sockets as grips
for the asshole was boston incarnate.
the whole block felt it on and off

until it went away.
the gate closed.
or he went away.
I forget, you owe me one last beer.

Weak Work by WRJ III

spent five days locked away
in a prison of piss scented snow and
some mixture of blunt guts and shit
trying to shake some demons while
I throw bleach down the fire escape
but peace does not come quick
I'll shut my eyes and let
the smell burn my sinuses
i don't have time to shower in the morning anymore
so crying like this will suffice

hands bound in razorwire
less is more
every torrent of thought
is worse than before
my brain is eating me for living this way

the release of friday is bittersweet

face first in a mountain of frost
and a river of fermented blue agave
to forget the week
to forget why I'm always lost

I always think I'm free
but the chain on my leg
has fused to my bone at this point
always rebreaking my limbs
taking leaden strides
to where I end up never wanting to go

I should always know better
I am not free
I am not free
two days is always a tease to us all
we are not free
we are not free




Recipe by Alexander Carey

There's a myth out there. It's about the food trifecta: Tasty, healthy, and cheap. We're told we must choose two but I say nonsense. 

It's especially prevalent in discussions on trying to limit animal based products in your diet. 

Today, I got a recipe that fits the bill. Puerto Rican style beans and rice. Possibly the cheapest, most filling and healthiest meal you can make in bulk that'll last you about a week, unless you eat it all in two days like I usually do. Usually calls for pigeon peas and ham, but here's my animal friendly twist.

Here's what you'll need:

4 cups of medium rice.
2 16oz cans of beans, preferably red kidney/dark kidney.
1 jar of Goya Recaito
2 packs of Goya Sazon
1 small can of tomato paste
1 bunch of cilantro
1 jar of Manzanilla olives
1 bunch of your favorite leafy greens (spinach, kale, collard greens) 
And Adobo or hot sauce (optional!)

In large medium depth pot, set to medium heat and stir in two tablespoons of Recaito and half a small jar of tomato paste. Stir continuously until it starts to blend.

Drain and rinse your two cans of beans and add as many olives as you like into the pan. Stir to coat them and then add in 8 cups of water. 2 cups of water per cup of rice, this pot makes quite a bit.

Bring the water to a boil then add your Sazon, cilantro and if you've chosen a leafy green. Stir it a bit to mix around then settle until it comes to a boil again.

Stir in your rice until evenly situated in the pan and return to a boil. Set your top to low heat and cover tightly. Don't open, stir or peek! You'll be sure to ruin your rice that way.

I usually allow 25-30 minutes and you'll be good to go. This gives you time to prepare tortillas or however you want to serve it. I usually just grab a bowl and hot sauce. When time is up, stir it to mix around all the goods inside. 

You'll be amazed at how much food this is and how affordable it was. Depending on sales, this usually costs around $8-$12. 

And as a bonus if you've got some more time and tortillas lying around, they make great taquitos! Simply roll the mixture into a lightly oil brushed small corn tortilla. Be sure to place flap side down and bake for 8-10 minutes. Perfect for dipping into salsa or any sauces you choose!

Next time, we'll get into Mediterranean food and some perfect cool summer meals.


 



Comments